No Bake Key Lime Pie
In the mood for a light and refreshing dessert? Then you’ve come to the right place! I jump on the opportunity to bring desserts to holiday functions and get togethers, so of course I volunteered to bring something sweet to our Easter celebration on Sunday. It was actually my mom’s idea to go the key lime route, and then I took off with it. Great idea as always madre!
I found a recipe for Key Lime Pie from thetastyalternative.com and used her recipe for my inspiration. Here it goes!
Lightly coat one pie dish with butter; set aside. In a food processor, mix together dates, raisins, and almonds to make the crust. Use hands to press the crust mixture into the pan. It will cover the bottom of the pan completely. Place the crust in fridge. Clean out the food processor.
In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk over low-medium heat until hot; do not let it boil. Meanwhile combine lime juice, honey, and avocado in a clean food processor and mix well. Then pour juice mixture into glass bowl. Add gelatin to bowl and whisk until incorporated. Whisk heated coconut milk in with the gelatin mixture until mixed thoroughly. Pour into pie crust and place in fridge for at least 8 hours.
For the cream cheese frosting: use a hand or stand mixer to whip together cream cheese (I used homemade but you can use your favorite), honey, vanilla, and a little coconut milk. After the pie has completely set, carefully spread the cream cheese frosting over the pie.
Place in freezer for 45 minutes before serving to help with slicing.
Slice carefully and enjoy!
Note: I didn’t freeze the pie before cutting into it hence the reason it looks like a messy piece of pie, but placing it in the freezer for a short while should help it to set a little further and will hopefully cut easier!
|No Bake Key Lime Pie (Gluten-Free, No Refined White Sugar)|| |
- ⅞ cup dates
- ⅛ cup raisins
- ½ cup almonds
- Lime Filling:
- 1 can coconut milk --- ***reserve 2 Tbsp for topping
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1½ small avocado or 1 large
- 1 envelope of plain gelatin
- Cream Cheese Topping:
- ¾ cup cream cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp honey (to taste preference)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- Lightly coat one pie dish with butter; set aside.
- In food processor, mix together crust ingredient until it resembles coarse sand. Use hands to press the crust mixture into the pan. It will cover the bottom of the pan completely. Place in fridge. Clean food processor.
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk over low-medium heat until hot, but do not let it boil.
- Meanwhile combine lime juice, honey, and avocado in food processor and mix well. Then pour juice mixture into glass bowl.
- Add gelatin to bowl and whisk until incorporated.
- Whisk heated coconut milk in with the gelatin mixture until mixed thoroughly. Pour into pie crust and place in fridge for at least 8 hours.
- For cream cheese frosting: use hand or stand mixer to whip together all ingredients. After pie has set, carefully spread cream cheese frosting over pie.
- Place in freezer for 45 minutes before serving.
April Fitness Challenge
At the gym yesterday, I tested my strength to see just how far away I am from doing one unassisted chin-up, which is my April goal. I was able to do one chin-up with 75 lbs of assistance from the machine. I have a LONG ways to go, but I truly think I will be able to reach my goal! You have to start somewhere, right?!
Happy Tuesday my friends!
Question: Have you made any nummy desserts lately?! Please share!