I don’t typically make New Year’s resolutions, but this year I’m making an exception. It’s a casual resolution but it’s one I would really like to work on.
The resolution is: to start cooking more healthy meals at home again and quit slacking!
I feel so accomplished and my body always thanks me when I make a nice meal, so now it’s just a matter of planning, preparing and executing it. I WILL be making this happen!
Last night, I began working toward the resolution by cooking up a recipe inspired by Ellie Krieger for Orange Sesame Chicken. I actually found the recipe while perusing through the Sunday paper. Here is the link for the recipe: Ellie’s Orange Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry.
I changed a handful of items in the recipe. I omitted the step where you coat the chicken with flour and lightly pan-fry it because I had already grilled up a chicken breast so I was just going to use that instead. I used a half a pound of chicken because I was just cooking for Dana and myself. I used broccoli and a handful of sugar snap peas instead of snow peas. I used Sriracha instead of crushed red pepper flakes. I ended up making the whole batch of sauce even though I only made a half batch of the chicken and it ended up being quite a bit of sauce. Next time, I would probably make the whole batch of chicken, and just save the leftovers for later.
Here is the recipe I used including changes I would make next time around! Enjoy.
Orange Sesame Chicken with Broccoli Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger Ingredients
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 medium oranges
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. Sriracha sauce
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, or about 4 small-medium breasts, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, chopped
- Use vegetable peeler to peel 3-4 pieces of orange peel; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine juice from oranges, garlic, broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, cornstarch, and Sriracha. Use fork or whisk to mix until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, lightly coated with olive oil. Add broccoli and snap peas to pan. Lightly saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sauce and orange peels to pan. Stir and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add chicken to pan and stir to combine. Let heat through for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot and top with sesame seeds, discarding the orange peels.
It was a very flavorful meal and I felt like I was eating take-out at home! It was a nice change to the usual dinner rotation. Stay warm this Monday and have a good one!
What meals are you planning this week?
Any New Year’s Resolutions?