Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
On Saturday night I had some serious motivation out of nowhere to make something creative. I perused through my fridge and kitchen, noticing that I had a sweet potato on its last leg as well as some frozen grated zucchini in the freezer. We had spaghetti sauce and cheese, plenty of veggies…
sweet potato + zucchini + cheese = pizza?!
In my world, YES!
In a large bowl I mixed together grated sweet potato, grated zucchini, almond flour, egg, parmesan cheese, ground flaxseed, water, a touch of olive oil, and spices. Then I smoothed the dough onto a well-greased baking pan and let it bake for 50 minutes.
Next, I removed the crust from the oven, added sauce, cheese and toppings and let it bake for another fifteen minutes.
For toppings I used: banana peppers, olives, tomatoes, and onion.
For cheese: I used monterey jack because that’s what I had on hand, but you could use mozzarella. I used cheddar cheese as well. I love cheese.
To finish it off, I turned the oven to broil and let the top crisp up to perfection.
Dana and I finished this pizza with no problem.
It was seriously delicious! I was wondering if the sweet potato would make for a sweet crust, but I think all of the cheese counteracted any possibility of that! I loved how it made the house smell too; like a quaint little pizza shop!
I will warn you though, I had to use a fork to eat it because it fell apart in my hands a bit.
|Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pizza Crust|| |
- black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp parmesan, grated
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- garlic powder
- ¼ cup zucchini, shredded and squeezed to release water
- 1 heaping cup sweet potato, shredded
- favorite pizza toppings
- no-sugar added spaghetti sauce
- monterey jack cheese (or mozzarella)
- cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 9 x 13 cookie sheet with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Spread onto prepared pan until diameter is ¼-1/2 inch thick.
- Spray the top of the crust with olive oil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Add as much sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings you like and bake 15 more minutes. I finished it off under the broiler to crisp up the top too.
Happy Monday and happy eating!