The other day I enjoyed a piece of Dove Dark Chocolate. Not only do I love the smell, taste, and smoothness of the chocolate, but I really appreciate the sweet little sayings that are printed on the inside of the Dove candy wrappers.
The one I ate yesterday said, “Enjoy the Childhood Joys in Life.” So often we take for granted the simple joys in life. I took this opportunity to reminisce about some my favorite childhood joys. Guess what? You’re invited to flashback with me!
- Recess: playing 4-square, tag, kickball, dominating the monkey bars. Adults should really be given recess breaks. It could help with the obesity epidemic in our country, right?
- Going to the Park: walking to the park, running around, playing on the jungle gym, throwing a frisbee, flying a kite.
- Playing with Toys: Barbies anyone ? That isn’t my collection in the photo btw. Dolls, games, books, stuffed animals…
- Favorite Foods: Ever since I was little I have always gotten excited about good food. I did a post a while back about typical family meals growing up. I really loved taco night. I also loved cookie dough (and still do!) and would help my mom make cookies, sampling the dough along the way, and then would leave her in the dust when it came to actually baking the cookies! My poor mom! I’ve eaten a lot of cookie dough in my day (CDC wouldn’t appreciate that statement).
- Playing Basketball in the Driveway: I used to spend hours with friends and family playing basketball in the driveway. It is such great exercise but at the time I didn’t think twice about basketball in regards to exercise, it was just plain old fun. The other weekend when I was at my aunt and uncle’s cabin, I played in a game of 3 on 3 and holy cow, I was huffing and puffing by the end of the game! I don’t know how I used to do that for an hour or more during full out games!
- Dancing: I started dance class when I was three years old. My mom and dad have some irreplaceable footage of me dancing in the house to a DIsney soundtrack record in a pink skirt of course, with my brother dancing around me making fun of me. It’s hilarious!
- Singing: I was in choir at school, choir with my church, and always loved singing with mom as dad played guitar. My mom and I would even sing on our walks together! I would dance down the sidewalks too.
- Going for walks: Again, we would sing, dance, recite state capitals, and practice multiplcation on our walks. We’ve always been good at multi-tasking. We still love going on our walks together!
- Watching Disney Movies: Some of my favorites were Beauty and Beast, Little Mermaid, and Cinderella. I want to collect all of the Disney movies when they are re-released.
- Laughing at America’s Funniest Home Videos: Bob Saget was so cheesy but AFV was always funny to me!
- Building Forts
- Finding a Penny on the ground: If I find a penny on the ground now it is rare that I pick it up. What ever happened to enjoying the simple things?!
- Lisa Frank Folders and brand new school supplies: new markers, crayons, lunch box…I loved buying back to school supplies!
- Plastic Jewelry
I could seriously go on and on! Let’s make an effort to remember to enjoy the simple childhood joys. Laugh at yourself, dance like no one’s watching, and don’t take yourself too seriously. Life is short, enjoy it!
What are some of your favorite childhood joys?