Here is the chili recipe from last night’s dinner. With it being a whopping -11 degrees outside right now in beautiful Minnesota, this would be a perfect lunch or dinner to warm the soul.
Crock-pot Black Bean Mushroom Chili
Recipe adapted from Eatingwell.com Black Bean Mushroom Chili
- 1 pound dried black beans, (2 1/2 cups), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1-8 ounce container mushrooms, sliced
- 1- 16 ounce jar salsa verde
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth would work too)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook dried beans according to package directions.
- In large fry pan, combine oil, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, allspice, and cinnamon. Stir over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, mushrooms, salsa verde and water. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and stir until mixture begins to thicken. Add broth and tomato paste; mix.
- Place cooked beans and vegetable mixture into large crock-pot. Turn heat to high.
- Cook covered in crock-pot 5 to 8 hours.
- Top with fresh cilantro, cheddar cheese, or a dollop of nonfat plain greek yogurt.