One of my favorite “picnic” salads is the broccoli salad. It’s creamy from mayo or miracle whip, sweet from the golden raisins, and salty from the onions and bacon. Mmmm…
I had a whole bag of broccoli in the fridge that needed to be dealt with before going bad. I didn’t have any mayo on hand, so I had to get creative.
After some mixing and concocting, I came up with this zippy (slightly tangy) broccoli and bacon salad.
Broccoli, raisins, almonds, turkey bacon, and an apple…
…topped with a mildly sweet and tangy honey lime vinaigrette.
The perfect texture and taste combination: crunchy, sweet, salty, and zippy!
It tastes best if you let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before serving to let all of the flavors co-mingle and allow the salad to settle.
|Broccoli Bacon Salad|| |
- 2 heads broccoli florets only, chopped
- 5 pieces crispy turkey bacon, diced
- 1/ cup almonds, chopped
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin oil (omit and replace with olive oil if you don’t have pumpkin oil)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- dash onion powder
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl mix together broccoli, bacon, almonds, raisins and apple. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree garlic, lime juice, oil, dijon mustard, vinegar, honey, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Poor liquid mixture over broccoli and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe adapted from: The Healthy Foodie
It’s easy, it’s mayo-free, it’s tangy and it’s a nice spin on an ol’ fav!
What are some of your favorite “picnic” salads? Besides the broccoli salad I also really enjoy cabbage ramen noodle salad, Italian pasta salad and taco salad. Then again, it isn’t too often I meet a salad I don’t enjoy.