Last night, Dana and I headed to mom and dad’s for a Memorial Day BBQ with my parents and his parents. We enjoyed beautiful weather on the deck, great company, and munched on some delicious grub.
On the menu:
Burgers, potato salad, cucumber salad, chips, guacamole, salsa, and fresh melon.
I offered to bring the potato salad because I had a whole bunch of fresh chives I wanted to put to use. I wanted to make a non-traditional potato salad, no mayo included. I came up with a mustard and vinegar based salad, after browsing through some recipes online and collaborating my own ideas with them. I adapted this one from Moira Hodson’s recipe in FOOD; New Twist on Barbecued Chicken Dinner.
Red Potato & Chive Salad
Serves 6-8; Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 lbs red potatoes, quartered
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp bacon bits
- Wash, cut, and quarter potatoes. Place in large pot and fill with water to cover the top of potatoes.
- Bring to boil; boil 8-10 minutes until able to pierce with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix mustard, garlic, vinegar, oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Once potatoes have cooked, remove from heat and remove from water; let cool. Once cooled, add to sauce.
- Mix to combine, stirring gently. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add chives and bacon pieces. Serve cold or at room temperature.
It was a hit. Make it for your next BBQ or picnic for a nice healthy spin on potato salad.
This Post Has 2 Comments
Pingback: Beautiful Surprises « Beautifully Nutty
Pingback: Bacon and Swiss Stuffed Burgers with Greek Yogurt Potato Salad « LauraLovingLife