Tonight we made homemade pizza dough in the bread maker for the first time and holy cow it was delicious! I made a whole wheat dough recipe that I adapted from Cooking Light. Instead of going through the processes of covering, rising, kneading, punching which is what this recipe called for, we put the dough in our bread maker and set it to the dough setting. Easy peasy! Once it’s done in the bread machine, I baked it in the oven with all of the toppings I had on hand and waited, waited, waited impatiently.
The crust came out pretty thick which was delicious, but I read the recipe once we were done stuffing our faces and read that it was actually supposed to make two 12 inch pizzas. This would make for a thinner crust which is usually what I prefer! But I am not complaining, because this was one delectable pizza. I enjoyed and savored every single bite. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Bread Machine Pizza Dough
Adapted Recipe (Cooking Light) http://search.cookinglight.com/ck-results.html?Ntt=pizza+dough&x=0&y=0:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- small handful of corn meal
- In bread machine add water and oil.
- Next add dry ingredients except corn meal
- Set bread machine on dough and let it do its thing
- Once dough is done, set onto pizza stone lightly coated with corn meal*
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Knead from the center out to the edges
- Top with whatever toppings you have on hand (I used pasta sauce, onion, zucchini, mushroom, green olives and spinach)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes
* Recipe called for cooking spray but I omitted because honestly I didn’t think you needed to coat a pizza stone. I was wrong. Dough was sticking a little bit once I took it out of the oven but I used a spatula to loosen it right out. Next time I will use cooking spray, then corn meal.
I will definitely be making pizza crusts homemade from now on in the bread maker. Winner winner! The rest of the night will consist of hanging out with my boys and watching a little bit of the Golden Globes. Have a great night everyone!