Warm Cauliflower, Quinoa & Feta Salad
The cold winter evenings call for warm healthy dinners. Last night was no exception.
I roasted one head of organic cauliflower in a bit of olive oil in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes, stirring it halfway. Once it was perfectly roasted, I set it aside as I whipped up the remainder of our meal.
My Sunday creation…
Next, I got the quinoa cooking. I mixed together one cup of quinoa with one cup of chicken stock and one cup of water. I brought the quinoa and liquids to a boil, then covered and let simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid was gone. Then, I added garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. I let this sit as I finished the rest of the meal.
In a large saute pan, I sautéed onion, zucchini, and garlic in olive oil. I then added a handful of spinach, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), and the roasted cauliflower. I added in dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper to taste. I gave this all a stir until the spinach was wilted in the dish.
My original plan was to stir the quinoa into the veggies and then serve it, but I decided to keep them separate.
To plate: beautiful yellow quinoa, topped with veggies, then feta cheese crumbles (this adds so much great flavor so don’t forget!!), and chopped kalamata olives.
Dana and I both absolutely loved this dish. There were so many different textures and flavors and they all came together perfectly.
Whip it up for yourself! Try it for meat-free Monday!
|Warm Cauliflower, Quinoa & Feta Salad|| |
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- dash of garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup zucchini, finely diced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- handful of spinach
- ¾ cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2-3 cups roasted cauliflower, chopped into large chunks
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, diced
- feta cheese crumbles
- Prepare quinoa per directions on package cooking with one part chicken stock and one part water.
- Once quinoa is fully cooked, stir in turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, saute onions, zucchini and garlic cloves in olive oil. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in a handful of spinach, beans, roasted cauliflower, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until spinach has wilted, about 3 minutes.
- You can now mix the quinoa with the veggies or keep them separate. I kept them separate.
- To plate (if kept separate): quinoa as the base, next the sautéed veggies, then the kalamata olives and feta cheese. Serve warm.
I hope you all had a fabulous weekend.
Any delicious recipes from the weekend or planned for the week ahead?