Earlier this month, Dana and I went over to mom and dad’s for dinner and they made us some very delicious lettuce wraps. A friend of mine asked me for the recipe, so I thought I would share it with all ya’ll just in case anyone else wanted it.
Mom’s Turkey Lettuce Wraps Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 16 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Thai Sweet Chili Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Peanut sauce (optional): To be perfectly honest, I was the one in charge of making the peanut sauce and I didn’t measure any of the ingredients. In the mix was peanut butter, hot water, lime juice, garlic powder, pepper, and sometimes I will add a splash of hot sauce. Next time I will be sure to measure and write it down! Sorry about that.
- Rinse whole lettuce leaves, pat dry. Set aside.
- On stove top, brown the ground turkey. Rinse, drain, pour into separate dish, and set aside.
- Return pan to stove top, add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to cook down.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan including browned ground turkey; mix well.
- Place heaping spoonful of mixture into lettuce cup, top with peanut sauce and enjoy.
Mom paired our wraps with brown rice and mandarin oranges and it was the perfect well-rounded meal.