It’s Monday, so how about a banana bread recipe to kick off your week? What’s even better is that it is low fat, but you would never guess it seeing as there is no sacrifice in flavor. I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light and am extremely happy with the results.
Low-Fat Banana Bread (makes one loaf)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon almond milk*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup almond milk*
- 3/4 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
*almond milk is used two different times in this recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, stirring with a whisk.
- In a large bowl, cream sugars, butter, yogurt, and 1 Tablespoon of almond milk with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute).
- In small bowl, combine 1/3 cup almond milk and vinegar, mix to combine, set aside.
- Add eggs to the creamed sugar, 1 at a time. Add banana, and vanilla, continuing to mix.
- Alternate adding the milk vinegar mixture and flour mixture; mix at low speed until moist (do not over-mix).
- Pour batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch bread loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool, then remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack.
You can eat the bread plain, with your favorite nut butter, apple butter, honey, or anything else that floats your boat. This recipe is my “positive” for my Monday positive talk. I don’t always win when it comes to baking because I really like to experiment with recipes, which leaves a bit of a mystery as to the results of the finish product. This was a win. Another perk to making banana bread besides it tasting wonderful, is that it perfumes the house with such a warm, comforting scent. Have I convinced you to make it yet?
I am off to tackle the world, aka laundry, errands, cleaning, etc. I ran two miles this morning and plan to run 2-3 this afternoon. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. But first, one more cup of coffee.
Have a great day!
Question: Did anyone else bake up any delicious snacks this weekend?